The Scroll Saw Lady

Ladies Come Learn To Scroll Saw!

Archive for August 22nd, 2008

Website Coming Soon!

Posted by The Scroll Saw Lady on 22nd August 2008

Keep your eyes posted here, as the new Scroll Saw Lady website is almost complete and should be up and running within the month.

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Website Coming Soon!

Woodworking Glossary

Posted by The Scroll Saw Lady on 22nd August 2008

Boy it has been a long time since I was able to post anything on woodworking, but I thought I would share with you some common woodworking terms that I think anybody doing anything with wood should have a general idea about.  So, here are some common terms you will probably run across.
Adhesive – A substance that is capable of bonding material together by surface attachment.

Air Dried – Lumber stacked and stored so that it is dried naturally by the exposure to air.

Allen Head – A screw head with a recess requiring a hexagon shaped key, used mainly on machinery. These may be in metric or SAE sizes.

Bench Dogs – Pegs that go into holes in the top of a workbench which work with a vise to hold wide material.
Biscuit Joint – An oval shaped disk that when inserted in a slot with glue swells to form a tight bond. A special tool is required to cut the slot.

Block Plane – A small plane designed for cutting across end grain.

Board Foot – Measurement of lumber equal to one square foot an inch thick or 144 cubic inches. Multiply width in inches X length in inches X thickness in inches, divide by 144 for total board feet.

Box Joint – Square shaped finger joints used to join pieces at right angles.

Butt Joint – A joint where the edges of two boards are against each other.

Chuck – An attachment to hold work or a tool in a machine, lathe chucks and drill chucks are examples.
Compound Miter – An angled cut to both the edge and face of a board, most common use is with crown molding.

Cross Cut – A cut which runs across the board perpendicular to the grain.

Dado – A groove in the face of a board, usually to accept another board at 90 degrees as in shelf uprights.

Dovetail Joint – A joint where the fingers are shaped like a doves tail, used to join pieces at 90 degrees.

Dowel – A wood pin used to align and hold two adjoining pieces.

Epoxy Glue – A two part glue that practically glues anything to anything, including metal to metal.

Filler – A substance that is used the fill pores and irregularities on the surface of material to decrease the porosity before applying a finishing coat.

Grain – The appearance, size and direction of the alignment of the fibers of the wood.

Hand Plane – A tool to smooth and true wood surfaces, consisting of a blade fastened in frame at an angle with hand grips to slide it along the board.
Jig – A device used to hold work or act as a guide in manufacturing or assembly.

Joiner – A machine used to true the edges of boards usually in preparation for gluing.

Kerf – The width of a saw cut determined by the thickness and set of the blade.

Kick Back – This is when a work piece is thrown back by a cutter, prevented using anti-kick back devices on power tools such as table saws.

MDF – Medium density fiberboard, very stable underlay for counter tops etc. to be covered with laminate

Miter Box – An apparatus to guide a saw to make miter joints.

Miter Gauge – A guide with an adjustable head that fits in a slot and slides across a power tool table to cut material at an angle.

Miter Joint – Pieces are cut on an angle to make a joint.

Molding (Moulding) – A strip of material with a profile cut on the facing edges, used for trimming.

Particle Board – A generic term for material manufactured from wood particles and bound together with glue
Plywood – A glued wood panel usually 4′ X 8′ made up of thin layers of wood laid at right angles to each other.
Rip Cut – A cut which runs through the length of a board parallel to the grain.

Sawhorse – A trestle usually used in pairs to hold wood for cutting.

Spline – A thin strip of wood fitted between two grooves to make a joint.

T – slot – A slot milled in the shape of an upside down T to hold special bolts for clamps or jigs.

Table Saw – A circular saw mounted under a table with height and angle adjustments for the blade.

Taper Cut – A cut where the width decreases from one end to the other, these are usually done on a table saw with a jig.

Tear out – The tendency to splinter the trailing edge of material when cutting across the grain.

Template – A pattern to guide the marking or cutting of a shape, often a router is used with a piloted bit.

Tenon- A projection made by cutting away the wood around it to insert into a mortise to make a joint.

Tongue and Groove – A joinery method where a board has a protruding tongue on one edge and a groove on the other, the tongue of one board fits into the groove of the next.

Witness Marks – These are marks put on boards or pieces to keep them in order during gluing, joining and assembly.

X-Acto Knife – This is a razor like blade in a handle; the blades come in various shapes, very handy for fine work. 

There are so many different terms used in woodworking.  The above is certainly only a partial list.  You will find yourself learning the terminology as you become more and more familiar with the world of carpentry and woodworking.

When you enter into the world of woodworking, there’s one thing you simply cannot do without – wood!

Posted in In The Beginning, Woodworking Terminology | Comments Off on Woodworking Glossary